06 August 2007

About this Blog


It is the time for some perspective on this blog project.
Let me explain what is the evolution of its focus and meaning.

At the beginning, I had no precise idea of what it would contain, but gradually it has become a blog focused on Finance, Economics and some Politics.

In particular I have specialized myself in the area of investments and how to interpret the evolution of markets.

I started to learn about investing and speculating in the mid nineties, while I was still a student. Before that, I was interested by it, but it was a somehow remote subject because my family background did not predispose me for such an activity. My parents were middleclass leftist and/or catholic and did not encourage this interest(at the same time, they were interested in getting some returns on their hard earned cash).

But then i studied in a business school, and i grew more and more interested in economics and how this "science" however "dismal" could influence people's lives to a great extent. For me it was very important to manage it carefully for

Later after flirting with "ultra-liberal" ideas and their intellectual attraction, I nuanced them by discovering that ultimately, everything was political. There could not be a "pure" market economy, if only because the "big" players would always abuse their power. Economics was also a question of the balance of power. It was also about political institutions and geopolitics.

This was confirmed by reading Fernand Braudel's work "Civilisation Matérielle, Economie et Capitalisme, XVe-XVIIIe ".

But what really convinced me was the US decision to invade Iraq in 2003.
I was living in the US in 2002-2003, and everything became clear. It was a period when the stockmarket was crashing in the wake of scandals such as Enron, Tyco, Worldcom, and so on. At the same time, I could observe this massive manipulation of the opinion for the preparation of the War in Iraq.
The Bush administration was ostensibly pro-market, and at the same time was favoring manipulators and the crazy interventionists.

That is why I think that there cannot be a pure market-based economy. Anybody with power is bound to abuse it. This is how the world works, and this is why economics is not a science like any other one.
Also all the economic miracles in the developing countries only happenened through state intervention and protectionism, and thanks to their size (example : China, India, Thailand or South Korea)

In the rest of the developing countries , the "opening" of the economy has only led to a new style of colonialism (example : Argentina, Brazil, and all the african countries).

This is why economics is so fascinating to me. It explains a lot of things, but ultimately, it is only a tool in the hands of people.

No comments: